From OCAU Wiki
Free Games are broken down into 3 categories:
- Totally Free - Games that are free to download, play, play online etc...
- Free to Acquire, Pay to Use - These are still considered free games, in retrospect. These games will usually have, like, a 15 day trial, or something, allowing you to get a taste of the games before you dedicate money to it.
- Pay to Acquire, Free to Use - These games I wish to dedicate to MMORPG's only. The reason for that is because every buyable game could be considered a Pay to Acquire, Free to Use game. Therefore, only MMORPG's will fit into this category.
Rules of the thread
Please abide by them:
1. No "abandonware". The reason I post this is because if I posted every single abandonware site in this thread, it'd get too far out of hand.
Quote: As pointed out by KYPREO: Many people do not realise that abandonware is currently illegal under Australian copyright law. Distributing it is software piracy. Currently, copyright survives 50 years (soon to 70) and the only defence is where you have copied extracts for the purposes of education, review or comment.
Note: I have copied some content from older posts, some of it MAY be abandonware, I'm aware. As of now though, I am not accepting any Abandonware links. The only exception to this will be if a game company "authenticates" a free download release, aka, Rockstar and their releasing of GTA and GTA2
2. Posting. If you're going to contribute to the thread, please post a link to either the games main page, or if no main page is available, either an "about" link, or anything else. As a last resort, link to the main download page. That way people clicking on the link can view what the game's about first before having the option to download.
3. NO DEMO'S. Please, no "DEMO" links. If you want to play a demo, google it. If you want to advertise a demo, search to see if there is already a topic about it, if there isn't, post it in a new thread.
4. Periodic Updates. I wish to update this at least once every day or 3. That way, if any links become dead, they'll be updated frequently, but I would like some advanced warning from you guys.
5. NO WAREZ! This one's pretty standard as IT IS A FORUM RULE! WAREZ = BAN REMEMBER!
6. No "online text adventure MMO" games. Examples of these would be Utopia, Earth 2025, etc... Not only are there too many, but they don't quite fit into this thread.
Totally Free Games
- Adventure Quest$
- Alien Arena 2007
- America's Army
- Anarchy Online (Free 'till 15th Jan 2007)
- Beneath a Steel Sky Requires ScummVM
- Betrayal at Krondor
- Beyond Belief Requires Shareware version of Quake
- BZFlag free multiplayer multiplatform 3D tank battle game (runs on lots of platforms)
- Elder Scrolls - Arena
- Flight of the Amazon Queen Requires ScummVM
- Funky Cars
- Grand Theft Auto
- Grand Theft Auto 2
- Ground Control Free from Fileplanet
- Gunz - The Duel$
- Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe Free from Fileplanet
- Kings Quest 1
- Knight Online$
- Lure of the Temptress
- Maple Story
- Mini Racer
- MU Online Free for the time being
- Open City
- Pocket City
- RF Online
- Scorched 3D (Yes, Scorched Earth)
- Space Invaders GL
- Thang Online
- The Bomber
- Trackmania Nations
- Tremulous "Tremulous is open source, licensed under the GPL."
- Tribes 1
- Rose Online
- Stargunner Download Site because 3Drealms don't host their own Freeware files afaik
- Torus Trooper
- Ultimate Stunts
- Wild Metal
- Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory.
Note: $ means the game is free to play, but some (minor) ingame content can be accessible via payment. Payment is totally optional and will not ruin your ingame fun (aka, it will not give you a huge advantage if you pay).
Free to Acquire, Pay to Use
- Kal Online - Pay for extremely rare items only (which you must find in the first place wtf?)
- Illutia - Free for the time being, will have subscription base soon for all but 1 server (1 server will be free)
- Ragnarok Online
- Live For Speed - Pay to unlock all cars and tracks
- Eve-Online - Free download. Monthly fee. 14 day free trial.
Pay to Acquire, Free to Use
- Guildwars - OCAU Guild here
- Mount and Blade - Free while in BETA - Buyable version available.
- Neverwinter Nights
- 101 Free Games The best free games on the web [1up.com]
- Anandtech Games Source
- Dosbox - may be required for games (released as freeware) older than 1996.
- Heptagron - Large list of Java/OpenGL games.
- ScummVM - may be required for LucasArts games.
- Tom's Hardware Top 10 free game downloads
- World Forge - Massive GPL/GNU games list
- Liberated Games
MiGiSHu: Big thanks to everyone who's contributed so far. Big thanks to charliebrown_au and Ceejay for their constant adding to the list