Revision as of 00:12, 17 September 2008 by Iroquois
Solaris is a Unix-based operating system introduced by Sun Microsystems in 1992 as the successor to SunOS.
Solaris is known for its scalability, especially on SPARC systems, as well for being the origin for many innovative features such as DTrace and ZFS.
Solaris supports SPARC-based and x86-based workstations and servers from Sun and other vendors, with efforts underway to port to additional platforms.
Solaris is certified against the Single Unix Specification. Although it was historically developed as proprietary software, it is supported on systems manufactured by all major server vendors, and the majority of its codebase is now open source software via the OpenSolaris project.
Here are a bunch of resources for Solaris/OpenSolaris, which may be handy for users and administrators alike.
Sun and OpenSolaris sites
- http://www.sun.com/solaris/ - Solaris home
- http://www.opensolaris.org - OpenSolaris home
- http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/prod/solaris - Solaris documentation
- http://opensolaris.org/os/community/documentation/ - OpenSolaris documentation
- http://sunsolve.sun.com - Patches, Bugs, etc.
- http://www.sun.com/bigadmin - BigAdmin system administration resources and community
- http://wikis.sun.com - Sun wiki communities, including Solaris
- http://blogs.sun.com - Sun blogs, covering Solaris/OpenSolaris
more to come..