SupCom System Optimization
From OCAU Wiki
Back to OCAU Supreme Commander Portal
System Tweaking Tips and Advice
- If you are running Windows XP SP2 with a multi-core CPU, it is advised you install this MS hotfix.
Installing this hotfix ensures Supreme Commander uses all available CPU cores.
- Turn off Shadows! Yes, they look pretty, but they 1/2 the framerate, even when on the Low setting.
- Large games that cause Supreme Commander to use >1.5GB of RAM will crash due to a bug. To fix this problem, see here and here.
- Make sure that Anisotropic and Antialiasing settings in the nVidia control panel are set to "Application-controlled".
Not doing so can cause Supreme Commander to crash.
- If you are using a normal ADSL/Cable router, you DO NOT need to forward any ports to play or host a multiplayer game.
Forwarding ports can cause problems when playing GPGnet games (ie, yellow & red pings).
Supreme Commander is smart and takes care of port forwarding (or NAT) on routers itself.
- Long load times and jumpy gameplay slowing you down? Vet anti-virus(aka Computer associates) causes this. Maybe other AV's too. Exclude the S/C directory from real time scanning.
Supreme Commander Console Commands
Enter the console in game by pressing "`"
- ren_Water disables the rendering of water, which increases FPS significantly on water maps
- ren_Fx disables all particle effects (such as smoke, fire, laser beams, sparks and the power line from power generators to factories indicating the adjacency bonus), significant FPS increase
- ren_Terrain removes all land textures. Units are a lot more visible. FPS Skyrockets
- ren_Skycube disables the background image AND reportably the SkyCube for the map your in. FPS can increase significantly
- ren_MeshStatic disables Trees, Metal Deposit Lumps and Hydro-carbon deposits. The image behind them is still visible (eg: the green picture behind metal deposits), slight FPS increase
- ren_Decals disables the scarring effects of explosions and craters (different from ren_NormalDecals, as this command turns off all bump-mapping and terrain deformation) Large FPS Increase
- ren_NormalDecals (similar to ren_Decals, but still renders the terrain deformation such as ACU crater and rocky hills) Large FPS Increase
- cam_Free - disables health bars and build progress bars on units, significant FPS increase
- ren_Splats disables scorch marks and craters, slight fps increase (depends on how many scorch marks are on screen)
- ren_ShowSkeletons disables textures for models, and replaces them with the "skeletons" for units/buildings. Significant FPS increase
- ren_Reflection is reported to increase FPS slightly (unconfirmed)
- ren_Refraction is reported to increase FPS slightly (unconfirmed)
Supreme Commander EXE Command lines
- -nomovies etc, anyone know of any yet?*
- /nosound - Disables Sound
- /map - Loads map, use PerfTest to do a benchmark. ie /map PerfTest
Supreme Commander System Requirements
- Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista
- 1.8 GHz processor
- 512 MB RAM
- 8GB available hard drive space
- 128MB video RAM or greater, with DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support
- Sound card, speakers or headphones
- 56.6 Kbps Internet connection required
- 3.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor or better
- 1GB RAM or better
- 8GB available hard drive space
- 256 MB Video RAM, with DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support
- (Nvidia 6800 or better, ATI X800 XL, X 1300 or better)
- Internet connection with Cable/DSL speeds
- Supreme Commander will run on Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1, but note that Service Pack 1 does not optimize dual core processors to their full potential.
- Supreme Commander has been run on Windows 2000 successfully as reported by some users on GPGnet Forums.