What Is Minecraft?
Minecraft is a sandbox game which allows players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D world. It is currently in development by Markus Persson, aka "Notch". The gameplay is inspired by Dwarf Fortress, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Dungeon Keeper, and especially Infiniminer. The game has two variants, Alpha and Classic, both with single- and multiplayer options. Classic includes only the building aspects of the game with unlimited blocks, while Alpha includes monsters and a much greater variety of crafting available, as well as requiring players to mine their own blocks. Alpha is currently the latest release of Minecraft, and will move into beta sometime in September 2010. Minecraft was developed for about a week before its public release on May 16, 2009 on the TIGSource forums, where it gained a considerable level of popularity. It has been continually updated since then.
Things You Really Should Read
OCAU Community Servers
There are currently multiple OCAU MineCraft Servers Hosted by members.
Server 1: OCAU Shenanigans
Current IP: whopperohyeah.com
Original Creator: Broden
Current Host: Whopper AKA Imitation
Planned Uptime: 24/7
Current Player Cap: 30
Current Zoomable Map: Link
OCAU Forums Thread: Link
Voice Comms / Mumble Server: Join aldaris.f3n.org or 18.104.22.168 (Requires Mumble Client)
Current Status: Online
1. If you are told to read the wiki by an admin it is for a reason. If you persistently ask questions which are answered in this Wiki page you may receive a 24 hour ban and/or a loss of builder privs
2. In order to be given builder privileges (the right to build, destroy and craft) in the OCAU server, you must be a member of the OCAU forums for longer than 3 months. In addition to this, you are required to have 50 or more posts in the forums. This means the post count shown in the left hand bar when you've made your post, and does not include pub posts, shop and swap posts and any other area in which you do not increase your post count. Do not spam the forum to raise your post count, as this will earn you a ban from OCAU. To get builder privileges if you meet these requirements, post in the minecraft thread on OCAU with your username, then join the game and let an admin know.
(Current members will still be allowed to play on the server even if they do not adhere to the above guidelines)
3. We want the OCAU Minecraft server to be as friendly as possible, so therefore any sort of rude behaviour, swearing, and general dickery will not be tolerated.
4. No offensive imagery or wording should be built on the server. This includes swastikas, curse words made out of blocks and rude body parts.
5. No exploiting glitches/bugs/etc (tool drop health reset is okay, though). No item duping. If you are caught duping, or with duped or otherwise ill-gotten items, chances are you will be treated as the guilty party.
6. The most important rule. No griefing which means building in or destroying things in someones area. You do not receive a warning if you are caught griefing by an admin or OP; you are banned on the spot.
Unless otherwise stated, one warning is given for all rule breaking. Any slip ups after that will lead to a permanent ban. Note that admins and ops CAN ban on the first offence.
Generally use common sense and be a nice person and courteous to other players. If you want to build next to someone or build something under another players creation ask the owner first and respect their wishes.
The minecraft world is a huge and varied one. Building at central spawn is strongly discouraged and usually impossible. Buildings built in the area around the spawn point may be demolished without warning if they detract from the general aesthetic. If this happens, signs will be put up directing you to contact an admin for compensation. Use the warps listed below or walk for a good while until you find an empty area to build in.
Tall, thin (1x1 etc) towers are to be ONLY used for the purpose of reaching high areas and are to be removed directly after use. Repeatedly building and leaving these towers is considered griefing and can result in a ban
If you witness a rule being broken, let somebody know. Admins have salmon coloured names. Currently the admins are KingKrapp, WHOPPER, Fett and qwertylesh. Syvergy (Silent Remorse on OCAU), Ewok85 (Same name) and drguild (Revenger on OCAU) are Op's/Mod's who can kick and ban. If we aren't in the game (you can check by typing /who), take some screenshots - with their name visible - and PM someone who is online @ OCAU or all of us if nobody is.
Please note, if you are banned please PM an admin (preferably the one involved) on OCAU if you have questions or would like to argue your case. Complaining in the thread will do nothing but hurt your case.
These items are banned either because of their griefing potential or due to them glitching up the place.
- Flint and Steel
- Lava - buckets of lava are okay for furnaces etc, but placing lava (pouring from a bucket) is banned.
- Minecarts - all types
If you need one of these materials (except carts) for any reason (for example, flint and steel for burning large amounts of leaves), ask an admin and we will be happy to help you out provided the area is safe to do so in.
In the chat, type "/kit builderkit" without the quotes to get an iron pick, an iron spade and an iron axe. If you drop a tool and pick it up again, it will reset to full health (unpatched bug). Please don't spam kits; it's not necessary.
- /warp east - Near Polk's place, on the road (looots of trees nearby)
- /warp spleef - OCAU spleef arena (please rebuild it when you're done with it)
- /warp north - Near Qwertylesh and Teria's places.
- /warp maze - Big, fancy maze
- /warp south - South...
- /warp glass - Huge glass pyramid in biome-territory
- /warp bridge - Sydney Harbour Bridge
- /spawn to return to spawn.
- /sethome to set a personal home point.
- /home to go there.
- /tp *username* to teleport to that user.
- /tptoggle to make it impossible for non-admin/op users to tp to you. Enter it again to remove the block.
- /tp? to display your teleport status.
- /who to see who is on the server.
- /help to see a list of these commands .
- /compass and /getpos to see your current bearing.
- /msg *username* *message* to send a private message to that player.
A complete list of all the commands for the Minecraft server can be found here
Secure Vaults (VaultWarp)
We have introduced the Vault Warp system. This allows each player a private warp to their own secure adminium vault.
At this point, each vault is an empty (bar 4 torches) 3 x 5 x 4 room.
What you do with the room is entirely up to you however we do have a recommended build layout.
To request a vault please contact an admin when they are online.
To warp to your vault once it has been created you simply type /vaultwarp.
NOTE: YOU MUST SET TPTOGGLE TO BLOCKED TO ENSURE THE SECURITY OF YOUR VAULT
An example layout.
The two blocks below the double stacked torches mark the manual entry way. You should not build here as if for some reason manual entry is required, your property may be destroyed in the process.
Also you should not put anything in the middle of the vault unless you want to want to get stuck in it each time you go to your vault.
Map of the Server
This map is from the 5/11/2010. It covers an area 3km x 3km, centered on the 0,0 point. Spawn is indicated, slightly north west of 0,0
The map scale is 1 pixel = 2 blocks. Coordinates are in 100 block increments.
WHOPPER's sweet-ass not so sweet-ass US server
- C2Q Q9550 2.83GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 100/100 mbit
Server 2: Icabaad
Current IP/Address: remoted.ath.cx
Original Creator: Icabaad
Current Host: Icabaad
Planned Uptime: 24/7
Current Player Cap: ??
Current Zoomable Map: Link
Server software: n/a
OCAU Forums Thread: Link
Problem: I keep on getting this message Disconnecting Took too long to log in ? Answer: That's a problem with the overloading of the minecraft.net servers
Black screens or crashes
The fix below will break all sound but will stop the game crashing and black screening.
On version Alpha 1.1.2_01 you need to update the java game library's to fix the black screen crashing.
Download version 2.6 nightly from https://www.newdawnsoftware.com/hudson/view/LWJGL/job/LWJGL/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/lwjgl-2.6.zip
Replace the files in C:\Users\YOUR USER\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin for vista and 7 and C:\documents and settings\YOUR USER\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin for xp
Replace all the files from the zip file including those in the native folder.
That should be it then and the game should be stable.
New versions of the game may use newer versions of the library from 2.6.
- Set Minecraft client priority to HIGH
- Set rendering distance to NORMAL
- Restart Minecraft
- Restart your PC
- If nothing will fix your problems, delete the client data in C:\Users\YOUR USER\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\ and let Minecraft download everything again.
- Step back from the blocks you are trying to remove instead of butting up against them.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the server.
- Close and reopen your client.
Typically for every person who says they have lag, 10 will say nothing is wrong. It is usually specific to each client.