What Is Minecraft?
Minecraft is a sandbox game which allows players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D world. It is currently in development by Markus Persson, aka "Notch". The gameplay is inspired by Dwarf Fortress, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Dungeon Keeper, and especially Infiniminer. The game has two variants, Alpha and Classic, both with single- and multiplayer options. Classic includes only the building aspects of the game with unlimited blocks, while Alpha includes monsters and a much greater variety of crafting available, as well as requiring players to mine their own blocks. Alpha is currently the latest release of Minecraft, and will move into beta sometime in September 2010. Minecraft was developed for about a week before its public release on May 16, 2009 on the TIGSource forums, where it gained a considerable level of popularity. It has been continually updated since then.
Links you need to know
OCAU Community Servers
There are currently multiple OCAU MineCraft Servers Hosted by members.
Server 1: OCAU Shenanigans
OCAU runs one of the most consistently populated servers in the country, with an average of 25 concurrent users during peak hours.
Current IP: whopperohyeah.com
Current Host: Whopper AKA Imitation
Planned Uptime: 24/7
Current Player Cap: 25
Current Zoomable Map: Link
OCAU Forums Thread: Link
Voice Comms / Mumble Server: Join aldaris.f3n.org or 22.214.171.124 (Requires Mumble Client)
Current Status: Online
In order to be given builder privileges (the right to build, destroy and craft) in the OCAU server,
You should first take a good look around the server and get and get familiar with it and the players,
Once you are a builder DO NOT build in or near existing buildings and project areas without asking the person that built that building, doing so will only get your builder rights removed so find a open spot on Overviewer away from existing structures.
You must firstly be a member of the OCAU forums for longer than 3 months.
In addition to this, you are required to have 50 or more posts in the forums. This means the post count shown in the left hand bar when you've made your post, and does not include pub posts, shop and swap posts and any other area in which you do not increase your post count. Note: Do not spam the forum to raise your post count, as this will earn you a ban from OCAU.
To get builder privileges if you meet these requirements, post in the minecraft thread on OCAU with your username, then join the game and play for a while when a admin is on so they can see what you are like.
Once an admin feels you ready for builder privileges you will get them.
Instantly asking or nagging for builder privileges as soon as you or a admin logs on after buying the game or not properly reading this wiki will only delay your request.
- If you are told to read the wiki by an admin it is for a reason. If you persistently ask questions which are answered in this Wiki page you may receive a 24 hour ban and/or a loss of builder privs
- We want the OCAU Minecraft server to be as friendly as possible, so excessively rude behaviour will not be tolerated. Punishments vary depending on the seriousness of your actions.
- No offensive imagery or words should be built on the server. This includes swastikas, curse words made out of blocks and rude body parts. Structures will be removed. Repeat offenders will be banned for at least a week
- No exploiting glitches/bugs/etc (tool drop health reset is okay, though) or hacked clients. No duplicating of items If you are caught duping (the duplicating of items via bugs), or with duped or otherwise ill-gotten items, chances are you will be treated as the guilty party. Duping is punished by at least a week ban. Serious exploits may attract a permanent ban.
- No griefing. Griefing includes building in or destroying things in someone's area, stealing, lighting fires and causing floods. You do not receive a warning if you are caught griefing; you are permanently banned on the spot.
- No possession of banned items (see section below for details). If we catch you with one, your inventory will be wiped. If it happens again, bans start at one week.
- Generally use common sense and be a nice person and courteous to other players.
If you witness a rule being broken, let somebody know. Admins have salmon coloured names. Currently the admins are WHOPPER, Fett and qwertylesh. Syvergy (Silent Remorse on OCAU), Ewok85 (Same name) and drguild (Revenger on OCAU) are Op's/Mod's who can kick and ban. If we aren't in the game (you can check by typing /who), take some screenshots - with their name visible - and PM someone who is online @ OCAU or all of us if nobody is.
Please note, if you are banned please PM an admin (preferably the one involved) on OCAU if you have questions or would like to argue your case. Complaining in the thread will do nothing but hurt your case. Please do not bother OCAU Admins regarding the server, (other than Silent Remorse or Sabretooth) since the majority of them do not play the game and will not be able to unban you or perform any in-game actions for you.
If you want to build next to someone or build something under another players creation ask the owner first and respect their wishes.
The minecraft world is a huge and varied one. Building at central spawn is strongly discouraged and usually impossible. Buildings built in the area around the spawn point may be demolished without warning if they detract from the general aesthetic. If this happens, signs will be put up directing you to contact an admin for compensation. Use the warps listed below or walk for a good while until you find an empty area to build in.
Tall, thin (1x1 etc) towers are to be ONLY used for the purpose of reaching high areas and are to be removed directly after use. Repeatedly building and leaving these towers is considered griefing and can result in a ban
INFRASTRUCTURE RULES (ROAD/RAIL/SKYROAD):
There are 3 types of public/private infrastructure on the server. They are public in the sense that they can be used by anyone without permission, but private in the respect that they are owned by their respective builders. Failure to heed these will result in bans ranging from short to permanent.
1) Ground road system (maintained by all admins/mods). This CANNOT be moved or edited without permission, but can be extended or connected to without any problem. Please try to keep with the same style so people know that it's a road.
2) Glass Bypass (maintained by syvergy), the OCAU Highway, and the SkyRoad. All of these roads have been built privately and CANNOT be edited, moved, merged, or basically anything besides walking WITHOUT express permission. Connecting your home to the Bypass via a small path in the same style as the rest of the Bypass is allowed, but please let Syvergy know for the sake of quality control. IF you are unsure who to ask, either ask in the forum thread or ask an admin or moderator in the server. If any of these private roads are damaged or changed, the alteration will be reverted back and you may be banned
3) Cross Country and Subway Rail Networks which is managed by Drguild, and networks are owned and built by various individuals which include Stocky21, Syvergy and various others.
The cross country and subway rail networks are the largest and most complex projects that exists on the server, and has been methodically planned and managed by there designers.
Rail tracks are very costly to make, and digging the tunnels/building the stations has taken weeks of work. DO NOT build your own cross country or subway rail lines without permission, as you may tunnel into someone else's property and cause havok with the existing line systems. DO NOT edit existing lines. DO NOT change or edit existing stations. If you would like a station designed or your building added to the network, contact Drguild in game, Revenger here on OCAU and he will sort something out with you with the right rail network owner. If you're caught stealing tracks, the admins will be notified immediately by the server and you will be permbanned.
All of these systems have been designed to make getting around the world easy, (and safer, once the monsters come back), so if you simply ask questions and not touch anything you are unsure of, you will be fine. Of course, you are free to simply use any of the above systems without permission.
These items are banned either because of their griefing potential or due to them glitching up the place.
- Flint and Steel
- Lava - buckets of lava are okay for furnaces etc, but placing lava (pouring from a bucket) is banned. Please note that right now lava buckets will be auto-removed from your inventory due to problems with GriefAlert.
- Items which are not acquirable through normal gameplay
If you need one of these materials (except carts and boats) for any reason (for example, flint and steel for burning large amounts of leaves), ask an admin and we will be happy to help you out provided the area is safe to do so in.
==== Server Help ====
If you are new to the shenanigans server familiarize yourself with these commands not doing so will just show you haven't read this.
In the chat, type "/kit builderkit" without the quotes to get an iron pick, an iron spade and an iron axe. If you drop a tool and pick it up again, it will reset to full health (unpatched bug). Please don't spam kits; it's not necessary.
- /warp builder - Rotating warp at a new user building site fins some open land away from people.
- /warp east - Near Polk's place, on the road
- /warp spleef - OCAU spleef arena (please rebuild it when you're done with it)
- /warp boatrace - scythesabre's boat course.
- /warp north - Near Qwertylesh and Teria's places.
- /warp maze - Big, fancy maze
- /warp south - South...
- /warp glass - Huge glass pyramid in biome-territory
- /warp bridge - Sydney Harbour Bridge
- /warp C4 - Connect Four, anyone?
- /warp snowynorth Biomes, snow, elwood and m0n's places.
- /warp pyramid - Huge indoor pyramid inside a pyramid 100% dug by hand
- /kit builderkit - Gives you a set of Iron Building tools.
- /spawn - to return to spawn.
- /sethome - to set a personal home point.
- /home - to go there.
- /tp *username* - to teleport to that user.
- /tptoggle - to make it impossible for non-admin/op users to tp to you. Enter it again to remove the block.
- /tp? - to display your teleport status.
- /who - to see who is on the server.
- /help - to see a list of these commands .
- /compass and /getpos to see your current bearing.
- /msg *username* *message* - to send a private message to that player.
- /lastseen *username* - requires exact spelling and best in all lowercase. Will tell you when they were last online.
- /mail - to check your mail (/mail help for help)
A complete list of all the commands for the Minecraft server can be found here
These users have salmon coloured names, and they run the server, have access to every command, can edit the area around spawn, give build privs, and spawn items, water and lava. WHOPPER has access to the actual server console and box. Admins are
These users have light blue coloured names, and they can kick, mute, ban, summon, fix water, wipe player inventory, warn, override tptoggle and perform other antigriefing actions. Mods are
These users have yellow coloured names, and can create and destroy blocks. They can perform the actions in the command list.
This is the default rank. These users have white coloured names, and can view the player list, /tp, /warp and /spawn. They are unable to create or destroy blocks.
Secure Vaults (VaultWarp)
We have introduced the Vault Warp system. This allows each player a private warp to their own secure adminium vault.
At this point, each vault is an empty (bar 4 torches) 3 x 5 x 4 room.
What you do with the room is entirely up to you however we do have a recommended build layout.
To request a vault please contact an admin when they are online.
To warp to your vault once it has been created you simply type /vaultwarp.
NOTE: YOU MUST SET TPTOGGLE TO BLOCKED TO ENSURE THE SECURITY OF YOUR VAULT
An example layout.
The two blocks below the double stacked torches mark the manual entry way. You should not build here as if for some reason manual entry is required, your property may be destroyed in the process.
Also you should not put anything in the middle of the vault unless you want to want to get stuck in it each time you go to your vault.
Map of the Server
This map is from the 5/11/2010. It covers an area 3km x 3km, centered on the 0,0 point. Spawn is indicated, slightly north west of 0,0
The map scale is 1 pixel = 2 blocks. Coordinates are in 100 block increments.
WHOPPER's sweet-ass not so sweet-ass US server
- C2Q Q9550 2.83GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 100/100 mbit
Server 2: Icabaad
Current IP/Address: remoted.ath.cx
Original Creator: Icabaad
Current Host: Icabaad
Planned Uptime: 24/7
Current Player Cap: ??
Current Zoomable Map: Link
Server software: n/a
OCAU Forums Thread: Link
Problem: I keep on getting this message Disconnecting Took too long to log in ? Answer: That's a problem with the overloading of the minecraft.net servers
Problem: Sometimes it seems like portions of the map around me will never load Answer: For whatever reason, the game downloads the map data but does not render it. Hit 'F' and it should render instantly, then cycle back through to your original render distance.
From: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12704859&postcount=5318 "My atheros onboard lan issue was solved by upping the Transmit Buffers to 512 instead of 256. Haven't been disconnected since"
Black screens or crashes
Download the latest java files.
You just need the 'Java Platform, Standard Edition' Click the JRE button.
If you are running a 64bit version of windows make sure you select it in the dropdown box.
Make sure you uninstall your current java install first.
- Set Minecraft client priority to HIGH
- Set rendering distance to NORMAL
- Restart Minecraft
- Restart your PC
- If nothing will fix your problems, delete the client data in C:\Users\YOUR USER\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\ and let Minecraft download everything again.
- Step back from the blocks you are trying to remove instead of butting up against them.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the server.
- Close and reopen your client.
Unless the lag is REAL bad it is usually client specific. If it is REAL bad it is usually because some other process is running on the server meaning the server is low on memory, swapping, thrashing disk, etc.
Other Links to Interesting Articles / Sites / Tools Etc
Simplemap Recommended minimap for use on the OCAU servers also has TAB prv message reply and enhanced lighting.